DON’T LEAVE YOUR KIDS ALONE AT HOMEPrintJuly 23, 2010 | No Comments »
DON’T LEAVE YOUR KIDS ALONE AT HOME
Have you or your friends ever think that leaving your kids alone at home is ok because:
- I need to go to work and no one could help for taking care of my child
- I am just going out quickly for few minutes to buy things
- My kid is sleeping and he/she will not wake up when I am out
- I had left him/her home alone before and nothing had happened
- My kid is a good kid and he/she can take care of himself/herself
Statistics showed that 993 child abuse cases were reported during January to December 2009 in which 102 cases involving children being neglected or being left unattended at home. Leaving children unattended at home is very dangerous. Many children were reported getting injured from fire, fallen from heights or even killed by accidents due to parents and guardians’ ignorance.
According to the Offence Against The Person Ordinance (Cap 212) section 26, “Exposing child whereby life is endangered” and section 27, “Treatment and Neglect by Those in Charge of Child and Young Person”, leaving children unattended at home and neglecting the welfare of children are forms of child abuse. Parents and guardians may face criminal liability arising from negligence in care of up to 10 years imprisonment.
Don’t put your kids’ lives in danger; don’t leave them unattended at home.
If you are in need of childcare services, please contact the childcare centers subsidized by the Social Welfare Department. Details can be found at: